Amundsen Data Catalog Demo
Here's a hosted demo environment that should give you a fair sense of the Lyft Amundsen data catalog platform:
For a quick catch-up, also explore this video and others in the channel which has Amundsen data catalog demos, community meetings, conference presentations etc.
What is Amundsen Data Catalog?
Amundsen is an open source data discovery platform and metadata engine that was developed by the Lyft Engineering team. Amundsen data catalog was built to improve the productivity and efficiency of data practitioners at Lyft.
It was open-sourced in October 2019, a year after launching in production. Amundsen since then has enjoyed a buzzing community of users, who have expanded it to build their data catalog on top of it.
The main capabilities of Amundsen include:
- Easy data discovery
- Automated and curated metadata - powering use cases
- Ability to share knowledge & context with coworkers
- Enabling learning from data usage
Modern Data Catalogs: The Key Trends, the Data Stack, and the Humans of Data
Resources to Get Started with Amundsen Data Catalog:
- A gentle introduction to Amundsen: Lyft's open source tool to tackle data discovery challenges.
- Step-by-step instructions to install, configure, and get up and running with Amundsen.
- How to set up OIDC authentication for Amundsen using Okta.
- Set up Amundsen data lineage using dbt.
- Learn how Amundsen compares with other data discovery and metadata tools like Linkedin DataHub and Apache Atlas.
Are you evaluating Amundsen Data Catalog for querying, lineage, profiling, and other specific use cases? Trying the open source data catalog tool hands-on is an important step of this evaluation process. What are the other crucial steps that you must undertake while evaluating a data catalog? Get hold of this check list to stay on track!
Also interested in other open source data catalogs? Check out this compilation of the most popular open source data catalog tools to ensure you aren't missing out on any of them.
If you are a data consumer or producer and are looking to champion your organization to optimally utilize the value of your modern data stack — while weighing your build vs buy options — it’s worth taking a look at off-the-shelf alternatives like Atlan — Home to the modern data teams.