What is LinkedIn Datahub?
DataHub is an open source metadata hub that was built at LinkedIn to solve challenges of data discovery, data observability, and federated governance.
A high-level view of LinkedIn Datahub architecture gives us two main components:
- A framework of building the mesh of metadata services, which is called DataHub GMA
- An application to enable end-user productivity and governance use-cases that are resolved by this mesh of metadata services called DataHub App
LinkedIn DataHub Demo
Here's a hosted demo environment that should give you a fair sense of the LinkedIn DataHub platform:
For a quick understanding of what LinkedIn DataHub is and how to use it, check this video which takes us through the variety of metadata use cases at LinkedIn, that are being powered by DataHub.
LinkedIn DataHub Toolkit
While playing around in the hosted demo environment, you may also want to employ the following to hone your understanding of this open source data catalog:
- A deep dive into the GitHub Repo
- Go through some explainers on their YouTube Channel
- Connect & engage with the community on their Slack Channel
Taking demos from select open source data catalog tools or data catalog vendors is actually a crucial step in the evaluation journey of finding the right data catalog for your organization. Download this ultimate guide with all the 5 steps to the evaluation process.
Also, read our compilation of the most popular open source data catalog tools to consider in 2021 to get a snapshot of your options.